Thursday 23 February 2012

My nanna does that!

The frequent response from peeps when I told them that I was doing a degree in Embroidery - 2001 I tripped off to Manchester for the start of my dream! Heading off to a big city to spend all week studying/doing embroidery! BA(hons) at Manchester Met - thought that within 3 years I'd be rich and famous - selling stuff across the globe, with the stars clamouring to have one of my things in their grubby little mitts! Oh, how things changed - I have the attention span of a gnat, and at the point I got told that on Wednesday's we'd have a 'stitch class' where we learnt a stitch, made samples etc.. alarm bells started ringing - seriously, back stitch? Chain stitch? I have examples in the attic of stuff I made in Infants school that use these - my brain wondered and my feet went with it! Hello galleries, hello Afflecks - I was lost and there was no going back. Do I regret it? Yes and No, I hate the fact that I gave up all the prospect and potential and will never know what could have been, but I am pleased that I went with my heart....I expected it to be arty and free and lovely and all I got told was - please don't use that pen again, why don't you use a machine? and finally - "you have issues we can't deal with" bye bye Manchester :(

1 comment:

  1. It's always hard to know exactly what you're getting when you sign up. That must have been hard. As for your suggestion of florists... Brilliant. What a lovely idea. Will aim to do an update post tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete